2001 Ford Winstar- odd brake problem

Questions specific to brakes and anti-lock brakes.
Caitlin
2001 Ford Winstar- odd brake problem

Post by Caitlin » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:49 pm

I have a 2001 Ford Winstar that keeps having "squealing" brakes after it rains. The noise could be described as more of a high-pitched ringing than a squeaking sound. There is no sound of grinding. The front rotors, pads, and calipers were all replaced in April, this problem started occurring about 2 weeks ago. I only hear a squeaking noise when I'm pressing gently on the brakes at a slow speed, such as pulling into a parking spot. If I press harder the noise stops. When the noise is occurring, the car simply does not stop as well. When that happens, the brake light comes on and the ABS system kicks in. I checked my brake fluid, it was just barely above the "minimum" line so I topped it off with manual-recommended DOT 3, did not seem to have an effect. Whenever it rains, the problem is consistent with the car for 24-36 hours, then the brakes are fully functional until it rains again. I'm thinking maybe I need a brake flush but I'm having a hard time finding any real information on it, any idea what it could be?

Tim

2008 Sable rear brake chirping noise

Post by Tim » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:47 pm

Had problems with rear brakes since new. Have a loud chirping sound that I can't seem to get rid of. Was told lately that factory calipers are a problem. Pads hang up in the grooves. Does this sound reasonable?

butch

Re: 2001 Ford Winstar- odd brake problem

Post by butch » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:19 am

If it only happens when it rains, then you may have an ABS brake problem. Water may be getting into a senor or sensor harness. That would explain why it goes away after a day and a half- the water dried up.

The noise is the least of your problems. The van not stopping is the real issue. A scan of the ABS computer would show a trouble code as to what part of the system is having a problem. It may be a front wheel speed sensor or harness getting wet.

Caitlin

Post by Caitlin » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:28 pm

Ok, I was starting to lean towards a sensor problem as well, and they can scan it and find the issue possibly? This was actually incredibly helpful thank you.

butch

Post by butch » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:49 pm

Yes. A scan of the ABS computer will show a code or codes related to what part of the system is having the problem. Then after getting the code they can diagnose it.

butch

Re: 2008 Sable rear brake chirping noise

Post by butch » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:35 pm

Yes, this could be the noise on your Mercury Sable. If the pads are hanging up, then they do no slide freely and can cause a noise. A usual fix for this is top grind down the area of -the pads that need to slide, also the part pof the caliper the brake pads slide on and add a little lubricant.

mattmro444

Parking Brake Mechanism ????

Post by mattmro444 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:17 am

Hi there,
I need a Parking Brake Mechanism with Motor Assembly for my 2003 BMW 745LI here is the part number BMW gave me 34436 782 755.
Thanks
mrosupply

Joanne

Oldsmobile Stability active light

Post by Joanne » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:09 am

What does it mean when it comes on. I have a oldsmobie aurora 2003. Recently got new abs brakes. When I turn right or lft the Stability active. Comes on

Terry

Re: Oldsmobile Stability active light

Post by Terry » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:41 pm

Steering stability works with the ABS brakes and the steering position sensor on your Olds Aurora. Have the computer scanned for codes. The steering position sensor may be bad. Have seen this a few times on that car.

Xander

Post by Xander » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:58 am

Any brake noise that is continuous, regular and repeatable and can be described as grinding needs to be investigated as the lining may have worn out completely.