1999 Pontiac sunfire 2.2 putt putts like it has no fuel

General car repair questions and answers.
Tin
Pontiac grand prix 2007 Trans Temp

Post by Tin » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:16 pm

Why would the transmission temperature keep showing up on a 2007 Pontiac grand prix and car making a knocking noise?

Terry

Re: Pontiac grand prix 2007 Trans Temp

Post by Terry » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:58 pm

If you are getting a transmission temperature warning on the drivers information center, then the transmission is either over heating, or the sensor inside the trans is not accurate. Either way you need to get it looked at.

A knocking noise is usually internal to the engine. Are you sure the warning is for the transmission and not the engine? That would make more sense that the engine is over heating and knocking.

ronda

Oil leak in the engine block

Post by ronda » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:24 pm

There was a hole between the 2nd and 3rd cylinders, but Christmas a neighbor looked at the engine for the oil leak. He poured hundreds of gallons of hot water into the engine. After, the smoke did not come out of just that place, but all around the engine in the crack. The compression was bad in one cylinder, but after, the compression was bad In all but the last cylinder. The car drives for a few minutes and then does not have compression and stops. The smoke comes out. It did stop for an hour, but now it is stopped for 3 days and then it starts again. It has compression in that one chamber and then it goes into the other two. He had it going for 10 minutes. Can it be fixed by putting a gasket in between the metal in the crack and plugging the hole between the 2nd and 3rd cylinder?

Alaine

1999 Pontiac sunfire 2.2 putt putts like it has no fuel

Post by Alaine » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:26 pm

My sunfire just kept getting worse. I would order a part and pay this local guy trying to help me. Every part never worked. It may have made it better a day or two but then it would start again. I have replaced fuel filter, coil packs, plugs, wire, fuel pump, ignition module, throttle sensor, map sensor and I think there is one more but I don't remember. FYI.....it does not have a cadalidic converter. I did order a used ECM module off eBay. Didnt get it put in before........ one day I coasted into a local mechanic. The car was too bad too drive. They charged me $197.00 and told me it was fixed. they told me it was the map sensor. That car was just as broke own as when I coasted in. They have had it for four days now hand can't find the problem. Any suggestions? They think they are done because they cleared a code. What does a single mom know about a code? I just want my car to work!

karlk

Re: Oil leak in the engine block

Post by karlk » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:53 pm

Wow, not sure what the hell you are talking about ! Are you saying that the engine has a crack in it? If so, then you NEED A NEW ENGINE. It is that simple.

butch

Re: 1999 Pontiac sunfire 2.2 putt putts like it has no fuel

Post by butch » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:38 pm

The key to your problem is the code(s) stored in the computer. Just clearing them does not fix anything. Any time there is an engine or emissions system problem, the computer stores what is called a "trouble code". Most of the time this accompanies a check engine light, but not always.

It sounds like the mechanic is just guessing a parts that are related the code number. Example- a code for the throttle position sensor does not mean the sensor is bad, just that the computer saw a problem in that system.

We could really use the code numbers the mechanic scanned from the car computer to be of more help. Also, the make, model, year and engine size please.

Kayli

Pontiac G6 Need Belt Help

Post by Kayli » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:51 pm

Does anyone know what belt or how u can bypass ac compressor on 09 pontiac g6 2.4l? Serpentine belt. Please help.

butch

Re: Pontiac G6 Need Belt Help

Post by butch » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:59 pm

I do not believe there is a belt you can get for your Pontiac to bypass the A/C compressor. Cars nowadays do not come with the option to NOT have A/C like older vehicles did.