2001 chevy cavalier kills battery

General car repair questions and answers.
tberrie2012
2001 chevy cavalier kills battery

Post by tberrie2012 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:24 pm

My car cranks. Then starts but stalls right away and kills battery. There are many warning lights on the dash.

butch

Re: 2001 chevy cavalier kills battery

Post by butch » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:57 pm

If the car stalls and the battery is dead, you either have a bad battery or bad alternator. First, check that the battery cables are clean and tight. Next you would need to get the Cavalier running and have the alternator testing for proper output.

Another possibility is a theft system problem. This can cause the car to act like the battery is dead because it will not crank over after it stalls. You would see a theft or security light on the dash after is stalls. Or it may be a picture of a lock. It would run for 2-3 seconds then die out.

MARY

Pontiac Grand Am Stalls Idling And Driving

Post by MARY » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:26 pm

I HAVE A 1995 PONTIAC GRAND AM SE THAT JUST SHUTS DOWN SOMETIMES WHEN IDLE OR WHILE DRIVING. THIS IS NOT EVERY DAY. I HAD A MECHANIC LOOK AT IT AN HE SAID THAT IT DIDN'T SHOW ANY CODES AT ALL. HE ALSO SAID THAT HE PUT PRESSURE ON THE FUEL PUMP AND HOSES ARE ALL FINE. WE DID CHANGE THE FUEL PUMP RELAY AND THAT DIDN'T HELP. ANY IDEAS?

Terry

Re: Pontiac Grand Am Stalls Idling And Driving

Post by Terry » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:18 pm

Your Pontiac may have a bad ignition module. Especially of it is the 4 cylinder engine. These are known to fail quite often.

With either the 2.4L or the 3400 V6. your car could have a bad crankshaft position sensor.

To diagnose this problem, you would need to check a few things when it stalls and will not start right away. If there is no spark, but you do have fuel injector pulse, then the ignition module is probably to blame. If the engine does not have spark or fuel injector pulse then the most likely cause is the crank position sensor. A bad crank sensor will usually set a code in the computer, but not always.

garysaxe

Chevy Cavalier warning lights on dash

Post by garysaxe » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:01 pm

Have a 1996 Chevy Cavalier Convertible 2.4L engine, I have replaced the MAPS, and then the problem started so I replaced the ECM, and BCM and the lights still go on. Any ideas? Car runs.

butch

Re: Chevy Cavalier warning lights on dash

Post by butch » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:00 pm

Exactly what warning lights are on the dash of your Cavalier?

Robin

Monte Carlo dash lights flicker w/"relay symphony" sound

Post by Robin » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:02 pm

I have a 2005 Chevy Monte Carlo that was started and stopped about 6 times. The car sat for about 2 hours, when I tried to start it again all of the dash lights flickered and it sounded like a "relay symphony" from under the hood and drivers side fuse box. All fuses are good, allrelays tested good. Replaced the ignition switch, no change. Pulled the BCM had it tested and repaired, still no change. Can not get any codes, when I put the key to the on position the lights flicker and the code reader screen flickers also. Does anyone have a similar problem and/or a solution?

karlk

Re: Monte Carlo dash lights flicker w/"relay symphony" sound

Post by karlk » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:32 pm

Could just be a bad battery. Relays that flicker like that is usually a result of a low voltage condition.

If you are sure the battery is good, Check all ground wires. Test fuses for proper battery voltage- 12V.