2002 dodge intrepid

General car repair questions and answers.
Grip
Cadillac has spark but wont fire

Post by Grip » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:23 pm

New fuel pump, battery, alternator, distributor(firing). Still won't turn over.

butch

Re: Cadillac has spark but wont fire

Post by butch » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:58 pm

OK. Im confused about your car problem. You say it won't turn over. A car not turning over means that it does not crank when you turn the key. Won't fire means it will crank over, but won't start. So, which is it.

You replaced the battery and alternator which tells me that the car would not crank over. But you also changed the fuel pump, which means you must not have not had fuel pressure, so it would crank but not start. You also replaced the distributor. Which tells me that the engine had no spark, will crank but not start. So which is it. What is your car doing? Does it NOT crank over, crank and not start, does it have spark and fuel pressure?

If you have spark as the title suggests, and you have fuel pressure, the next thing to check is fuel injector pulse. If there is pressure, but not injector pulse then the fuel will not get into the engine.

Vicki

1999 dodge intrepid rpm racing

Post by Vicki » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:56 am

I have a 99 dodge intrepid and first my rpms started racing then my speed odometer started not moving unless it felt like it. It won't shift to let me go more then thirty. And now it won't start. Please any clue what's going on with this?

butch

Re: 1999 dodge intrepid rpm racing

Post by butch » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:29 pm

Sounds like you have a serious electrical problem. The speedometer and transmission shifting probme could just be caused by a vehicle speeds sensor, since the transmission, speedometer and odometer all use that for calculations. But the car not starting now would be unrelated to that.

Check that the battery cables are clean and tight. Pull on some engine wiring harnesses to see if you can get the car to act up just running at idle. This would show you where a possible loose connection might be.

Other that that, you are going to have to have a mechanic look at it.

martha

2002 dodge intrepid

Post by martha » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:47 pm

started overheating last sunday, have replaced the water pump, and thermostat and fan sensor, still getting hot, the temperature gauge does not indicate that it is hot, but steam comes out of overflow jug

karlk

Re: 2002 dodge intrepid

Post by karlk » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:32 pm

If the temperature light is not on but the coolant is boiling over the jug in your car, then you may have an internal engine problem. Your engine may have a blown headgasket. When that happens, engine cylinder gases are being forced into the cooling system system causing it boil over. You need to have a pressure test to check the integrity if the system.

Xander

Re: 2002 dodge intrepid

Post by Xander » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:00 am

Martha how did it go with you car? I just have same problem with you and I no one I can count on as my boy friend is away.