2003 Buick Century Electrical

General car repair questions and answers.
Suzanne
2003 Buick Century Electrical

Post by Suzanne » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:04 pm

I have been having electrical problems with my 2003 Buick Century: panel lights going off and on behind the steering column, lighter working on and off, electric driver seat working on and off, and just lately, service engine light coming on and the gauges working on and off! I was told by a GM technician that there were dash harness problems identified ($250 for just the harness that will only fix the dash light problems) and yesterday by a mechanic that I probably need an entire new engine wiring harness. However, when I look for THAT part online, what I am shown is just a tiny part for $8.95. Has anyone else had these electrical problems with the Buick Century? It is otherwise an awesome car. I am trying to decide just how much to pour into this car before getting something else.

Terry

Re: 2003 Buick Century Electrical

Post by Terry » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:24 pm

I can see that a dash wiring harness for $250 to correct the lighting problems on your Buick, although i am not sure why the harness is bad. Most of the time if, say, a harness i rubbed through on a dash bracket it can just be repaired and not need to bee replaced.

I cannot see any reason that a mechanic would tell you you need an entire engine wiring harness. This is a huge harness. The only way an engine wiring harness would need to be replaced is if there was a fire and there is a lot of damage. Again, wires can be repaired, unless there are multiple burned areas that make it not worth repairing, but that is rare.

As for the price of the engine harness, you can expect that to be $700 - $800 for the wiring harness alone.

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:00 pm

There are electrical issues with this car. I would love to find a mechanic with the patience to find the "offending" wires and fix them.

Terry

Post by Terry » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:46 pm

I hope you do get the problem fixed. For electrical problems like this, the best place to go is usually to the dealer. You will pay more, but they are the experts !