2004 buick lesabre with 3800 engine, no start

General car repair questions and answers.
todd
2004 buick lesabre with 3800 engine, no start

Post by todd » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:29 pm

this car will not start, the problem began a month ago with alot of cranking but it always started. 2 months ago we put in a new fuel pump and filter and it was ok for a month then the hard starting began. the pressure at the fuel rail is 50 lbs with key turned, 44 lbs with it cranking. it cranks good and fast to by the way. i changed the plugs and the wires no difference, i checked for spark with an hei tester and had spark on every wire. i put in a new ecm because i did not know what else to try. i unplugged the mass air flow sensor, and the other sensors on the air control one at a time, no change. i tested the air idle control for power and got 5 volts which i understand is correct. and i tested the control with ohm tester and got continuity. i had to change the oil because with all the cranking there was gas in the oil, not alot but enough to bother me. the old pluggs were soaked with gas when i took them out. i tested the injectors with an ohm test and all ok. a week ago it warmed up to 30 degrees the sun was shining on the motor after much cranking and holding the pedal to the floor it started. ran rough for a second or two and then smoothed right out. i drove it and it ran perfect no coughing or any thing. good power, continued to start that day and the next morning it started but really hard now it wont start. it has been zero to 20 above here in ny/adirondacks. any suggestions?

Terry

Re: 2004 buick lesabre with 3800 engine, no start

Post by Terry » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:46 am

I think the key to your Buick problem is the fact that the spark plugs were wet. The 3800 engine is flooded, that is why it is hard to start. That means either there is no spark or too much fuel getting in the engine.

You say that you checked for spark and it was good on all plugs. You also ohmed out the injectors. If you did these tests when the engine was starting fine, then those test would of course be fine. That does not tell us anything.

You need to test for spark while the engine is not starting.

Next i would look at the fuel pressure regulator. If it is leaking, this will cause a flooded condition, hard starting, and running rough after it starts for a few seconds.