3800 misfire and hesitation

General car repair questions and answers.
jessie
3800 misfire and hesitation

Post by jessie » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:08 pm

1996 Olds 88 with 3800 ... 117,000 miles. Had a couple misfires only right after starting coded as #6. changed plugs and wires. Runs a lot better but got another misfire with no code and did a slight hesitation when stepping on gas. A few months ago light came on and code was MAS. Didn't change and had no problems. The egr and intake manifold gasket where changed a year ago. It doesn't do this all the time but driving me nuts. go ahead and change MAS or shoot for ign cont module?

Terry

Re: 3800 misfire and hesitation

Post by Terry » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:51 pm

Most hesitation problems are caused by ignition components. I would check all the plug wires. Spray a little water on them when at idle or doing a brake torque. This will usually cause a bad one to break down.

A MAF sensor can give the same feel as an engine misfire. You can try to spray any dirt off the sensor and also pull on the wires at the connector to see if one is broken.

jessie

Post by jessie » Mon May 19, 2014 3:51 pm

Finally fixed issue. It was a combo problem. The egr that I had replaced 14 mo ago defective... place actually replaced for free when out of warranty (been whining about issue for awhile). Got ready to leave and got a misfire and check engine light again. Numerous codes... mech takes off MAS (I watched it happen) and it falls apart. Put new one in and she's back to life without misfires and idling weird and fast. Now to just get the damn creaking bushings replaced that are driving me crazy! (need struts/shocks badly too :) )

butch

Post by butch » Tue May 20, 2014 10:08 pm

jessie wrote:Finally fixed issue. It was a combo problem. The egr that I had replaced 14 mo ago defective... place actually replaced for free when out of warranty (been whining about issue for awhile). Got ready to leave and got a misfire and check engine light again. Numerous codes... mech takes off MAS (I watched it happen) and it falls apart. Put new one in and she's back to life without misfires and idling weird and fast. Now to just get the damn creaking bushings replaced that are driving me crazy! (need struts/shocks badly too :) )
Glad to hear it !