Ease/Cost Repair Ford Contour Blown Head Gasket

General car repair questions and answers.
dale
fiat punto 1997 wipers and fan problem

Post by dale » Sat May 24, 2014 1:22 am

Fiat punto mk1 1997 176B2000 hatchback 55sx 1.1 I have a strange problem some times my wipers and ventilation fan works and sometimes it dont? I believe the two are linked because I will leave them both in the on position (while they are not working) and and 5 klm down the road they will come on automatically. I can shut off the motor and restart the engine and the problem start all over again. at a dead stop with motor idling, it takes almost 15mn for the wipers and fan to turn on. What is the problem? . Not sure what the problem is or where to start looking. Has anybody have had this problem before? Turn the key on an off a couple of times and they start to work after the car has warmed up. Or, leave them both on wipers and fan. and they will come on after ten to fifteen min. while driving. There are sometimes where this is not a problem at all they'll work just fine. I'm at a loss!

Terry

Re: fiat punto 1997 wipers and fan problem

Post by Terry » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:53 pm

This sounds like either a power feed problem or a ground problem on your Fiat. That fact that it comes and goes the way you describe makes me think a power feed problem. You may have a bad ignition switch. That is what feeds power to most of the cars system through the fuses. You would need to get a wiring diagram for your Fiat, find the fuses that control the fan and wipers, and when either or both of them are not working, use a volt meter and test for battery voltage on those fuses. It should be about 13 volts with the engine running. If the voltage is low, that means the power going to the fan and wipers is not enough to run them, so you have a power feed problem most likely caused by a faulty ignition switch.

CyndiW

Ford Focus Wont Start Question

Post by CyndiW » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:52 pm

My son had an accident in his car, he tried to avoid hitting a deer and ran off the road into a cornfield. he popped a tire no damage to the outer parts of the car, but it won't start, the tow truck driver said it was something electrical that needs repairs. could this be the issue and is it expensive to repair? It's a Ford Focus ES 2013....

butch

Re: Ford Focus Wont Start Question

Post by butch » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:52 pm

It's hard to say what could be wrong with your Ford. I would guess that some wiring got ripped out under the car because he went off the road. It could be the starter wiring, fuel pump wiring, sensor wiring or any number of things. The only way to tell is to get the car up in the air and inspect for broken wires.

jenn

car died then when turned on started knocking

Post by jenn » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:30 pm

the car i just bought (2001 v6 mustang with 148k miles) died at a toll and then once i restarted it thats when it started ticking/ knocking.. everyone says its the o2 sensors, others say its the lifter.. was running completly smoothly until last night when i went to the toll that is 15 miles up the road.. and when i go above 50 mps+ it seems to go away.. but when i had to stop at a railroad for a train, it died again.. and once restarted it seemed to get louder.. it seems like the noise is coming from the mid to back top section of the engine on the passenger side.. oil is good and it doesnt show its over heating. Any ideas?

butch

Re: car died then when turned on started knocking

Post by butch » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:26 pm

Well, the problem with your Ford is definitely not the 02 sensors. These sill not cause the car to stall or make any noise. I would have the oil level checked, then have the oil pressure checked. Either of these will cause an engine noise and can cause stalling.

Yes, a lifter will cause an engine noise as well, but if only one were bad, it would not cause your Mustang to die out.

butch4539

lincoln towncar wires adjacent to steering column

Post by butch4539 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:10 pm

Please can anyone tell me what attaches to this connector. It is 1 of 6 connectors in the wire harness assembly that all anchor to the right side of the steering column. This has 3 wires in it (black, purple, white) I would add the pic of the side view and location view but having trouble getting them to upload.
connector.jpg
connector.jpg (55.31KiB)Viewed 6032 times

karlk

Re: lincoln towncar wires adjacent to steering column

Post by karlk » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:05 pm

That looks like a flasher relay or module connector. If there was nothing connected to it before, don't worry about it.

Joshua

Estimate Cost Repair Ford Blown Head Gasket

Post by Joshua » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:22 am

If anyone has an idea, what the cost might be to repair a blown Head Gasket on a 1998 Ford Contour with 130,000 miles, please let me know. I need to determine if my mechanic is being honest, or quoting an exorbitant rate because he doesn't want to fix it. Thanks.

Terry

Re: Estimate Cost Repair Ford Blown Head Gasket

Post by Terry » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:47 pm

The cost to repair a headgasket on your Ford depends on if the repairs are done at the dealer or an independent mechanic. The dealers are of course higher labor rate.
On a four cylinder engine, the cost for parts and labor would be about $700. On a six cylinder engine the cost could be around $1100.