engine hesitation 2002 Kia Rio

General car repair questions and answers.
pasusu4me
RPM needle on kia sedona van

Post by pasusu4me » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:35 pm

What''s wrong with my van when after driving for a few minutes when pushing on excellorater the rpm lose power until I take my foot off pedal and start again. It will keep doing it and the rpm needle jumps all around. It also feels like it I cutting out, losing power when this happens.

karlk

Re: RPM needle on kia sedona van

Post by karlk » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:19 pm

This could be several problems. The problem of the engine loosing power when pressing hard on the accelerator, then clearing up when you let off, could be low fuel pressure. When you are into the gas pedal hard, the engine needs higher fuel volume, then when letting off the gas, the low pressure IS enough to let it run OK. Low fuel pressure could be a plugged filter or weak fuel pump.

A plugged catalytic converter can also cause this problem on your Kia.

But this would not explain the tach needle jumping. Cutting out and loosing power could be the problem above, but not really the tach again.

That gauge jumping around makes it sound like an electrical problem. That can also cause the engine running problem.

pasusu4me

Re: RPM needle on kia sedona van

Post by pasusu4me » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:29 am

Thanks for all this! It doesn't do it all the time. But more frequently as time goes on. That's why it's been so hard for anyone to find the problem. No one has done anything with the fuel filter or pump though. They have done some electrical things. But still nothing has helped. But when it starts doing it, it is a problem especially when out on the highway going with the traffic. I will pass this information along and hopefully they can find what's going on. We have spent way too much trying to find the problem. :(
Thank you kindly.

shadetree

engine hesitation 2002 Kia Rio

Post by shadetree » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:57 pm

I have sporadic engine hesitation at any speed or engine temperature in 2002 Kia Rio. This has new fuel and air filter, new spark plugs and injector cleaner used a few times.

Terry

Re: sporadic engine hesitation 2002 Kia Rio

Post by Terry » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:11 pm

Intermittent engine misfire is usually caused by an ignition system problem. I would check the spark plug wires and ignition coils.
If you can get the computer scanned for codes, there may be a misfire code in the history that would show which cylinder is misfiring.

Even better is to have a scanner that shows live engine data. Then when the problem is happening, you would be able to see which cylinder is acting up. This will at least narrow down which one to concentrate on instead of all cyls.

Chelsea

Toyota Camry engine and maintenance light

Post by Chelsea » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:03 pm

Hi, my grandma has a 2005 Camry Toyota LE. It has less than 75,000 miles on it and has multiple dents from rear ending and such. She is currently allowing me to drive the car to work and school. The matience light is on and on occasion the engine check light comes up (yellow/orange-although not right now or recently). Today I was on the high way with the heater on. I started to smell something that smelled a bit like oil. I turned off the heater and it went away. The car was driving like normal and no lights came on. I got to where I was headed and parked. When I turned off the car and got out it smelled strongly (not as strongly as my Mom's old van when it had a leak but noticeable) of oil but the oil smell was a bit different than what I had smelled before. After being off for a bit the smell went away. I went out maybe 20 min later, after it stopped raining, and checked the oil. It said it was half full. I doubled checked it and got the same result. I inspected the engine to see it I could see anything that looked off. I noted that the engine coolant was low but other than that the engine looked as it always has. My question, what should we do with these symptoms the car has? My grandma is in a nursing home recovering from a stroke and we don't have enough money (between pay checks) to take it to see a mechanic. Do you think it's serious? Or can it wait til I get paid and still be driven? Thank you for you help!

Terry

Re: Toyota Camry engine and maintenance light

Post by Terry » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:20 pm

For the check engine light on your Toyota, you need to get the computer scanned for codes. This can be done for free at an Autozone or other large parts store chain. The maintenance light comes on at certain mileage intervals and needs to be reset.

The smell you are getting from the dash vents and the fact that the coolant was low may mean the heater core is leaking. This would be a little different than an oil smell, just like you said. It be sort of sweet. But, since the oil was low as well, you need to have a mechanic inspect the engine for leaks, either internally or externally.

Chelsea

Re: Toyota Camry engine and maintenance light

Post by Chelsea » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:11 am

Thank you so much for your reply! It really helps to have a bit of an idea of what could be wrong with our car. Especially since it is driving fine. I'll be taking it in to get looked at as soon as I'm paid. Thanks again!