Engine runs rough When Cold

General car repair questions and answers.
spdy123
car wont start - chevy cavalier

Post by spdy123 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:48 am

I have an 03' cavalier and while driving it shut off locking up on me and when trying to start it kind of sounds like somethings turning but it sounds like two pieces of sand paper rubbing together, what could be the problem?

karlk

Re: car wont start - chevy cavalier

Post by karlk » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:36 pm

If your car shuts off, then has a strange sound when trying to restart it, then you have 2 problems.

1. The stalling out- This could be from many things like a bad fuel pump or ignition module to a throttle body full of carbon.
You would need to do some testing as to why it shut off in the first place.
The carbon problem would only cause stalling at idle or coming up to an idle.

2. Strange sound when starting- this sounds like a bad starter. That would not cause the car to die out in the first place though.

dan

Engine runs rough When Cold

Post by dan » Mon May 12, 2014 10:58 am

i have 1989 olds 88 , 3.8 . engines runs good when the outside air temp is below 60 degrees . the warmer the outside air temp gets the engines starts running rough . check engine light does not come on . shut car off for 10 minutes start it up engine runs good . is it Maf or IAT ? don't have a bit of problem in the winter months.

butch

Re: Engine runs rough When Cold

Post by butch » Tue May 20, 2014 10:07 pm

Your problem could be the MAF or IAT. But, they will usually set a code. You can try and unplug the MAF when it is acting up to see if that helps. When unplugged, the computer uses a default value. The car may stall when unplugging, but will start right back up.

Another thing to check is fuel pressure. It may be low due to a weak fuel pump.

Kristy

1998 Chevy Cavalier Hestitation/Bucking

Post by Kristy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:21 pm

I have a 1998 Chevy Cavalier (2.2L) that has been having problems with hesitation and bucking. It primarily hesitates when coming from a full stop, if you press down on the gas you can "force it" through the hesitation. It also occasionally will hesitate while at highway speeds (no specific speed, very sporadic) for a few miles and then it stops and runs smoothly. It has has no problems starting or idling. It does this at no particular speed and does it more frequently since the problem began. We have replaced the fuel pump, fuel injectors, coil pack, ignition plate, MAF sensor, fuel filter. No check engine light is on. Any ideas!!??

karlk

Re: 1998 Chevy Cavalier Hestitation/Bucking

Post by karlk » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:33 pm

You have replaced quite a few items. Did you replace the spark plugs? There may be one that has a crack in it. The problem you describe on your Cavalier sounds like an ignition problem. If by "Ignition Plate" you mean the housing that holds the coils, that is a common problem. Did you also replace the spark plug boots on the plate- which is also called the ignition coil housing.

Jennifer

96 Chevrolet cavalier won't start

Post by Jennifer » Tue May 15, 2018 9:53 am

I have changed the starter and the battery and it still won't start u can take a screwdriver to it and it turns but not with key