To grind or not to grind

General car repair questions and answers.
Jason
Maintenance required light is on

Post by Jason » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:18 pm

I have a 2013 Scion xD and the maintenance required light was flashing so I thought I needed an oil change and I did that,well now it not blinking for a little bit,it's on all the time,what's going on,it does sound like it's knocking a little bit,I don't know what's going ob

karlk

Re: Maintenance required light is on

Post by karlk » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:28 pm

The maintenance light on your car can come on for several reasons. An oil change is just one of them. Even if that is the reason for the light, it will need to be reset after the maintenance is preformed. The car does not know you changed t=he oil. It all depends on how many miles you have on the car.

Eric

disappearing brake fulid

Post by Eric » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:26 am

I have a 2005 Mustang, 6cyl, 4.0 . It's master brake cylinder had a internal leak. Is it possible for the brake fluid to get into the motor once it's replaced and cause a huge white cloud to come out the exhaust and if so, would it cause harm to the valves to run the motor to burn it off?

butch

Re: disappearing brake fulid

Post by butch » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:46 pm

It is possible that the brake fluid got into the vacuum booster. This is the large round part that the master cylinder bolts to. If brake fluid did get in there, it would be sucked into the motor through the vacuum hose.

It should be OK to drive that way until it is gone. Brake fluid should not hurt the engine.

Jenny

Help idk what to do

Post by Jenny » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:45 am

I have a 2005 Chevy impala ,yesterday the low oil pressure light was on along with a loud knocking ..i checked oil it was low I added 2 quarts ..pressure light went off but it still knocks ..also stalls at stops ..i had an oil change about 1-2 months ago I'm a single mom and need my car what could be the problem and is there an inexpensive fix

Dennis

To grind or not to grind

Post by Dennis » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:46 am

I am going to undertake installing new brakes on my 2000 Windstar. The current brakes are completely OE. I'm going to install new rotors and drums as well as friction material (pads and shoes), new hardware, etc.

Several questions;

1- How do I read the code for the ABS light that come on intermittently?
2- Is there some trick to flushing old DOT3 from the system (ABS module)?
3- Should I grind the new rotors and drums prior to installation?
4- What am I missing?

Thank you in advance.

Dennis

Torque specs for alloy wheels

Post by Dennis » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:49 am

Yes, I know...basic question. I have gotten different answers from different experts.

2000 Windstar with factory alloy wheels. What is the correct torque for installing the OE alloy wheel lug nuts?

Thank you.