Vibration at High Speeds

General car repair questions and answers.
knutter
ford vibrating when driving & ildle

Post by knutter » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:15 pm

I have a 2001 ford experdition and it vibrates when i driv it n ut vibrates when it idleling

butch

Re: ford vibrating when driving & ildle

Post by butch » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:08 pm

If the whole truck is vibrating, then that could be a lot of thing. A tire or wheel out of balance, a loose steering or suspension component, bad u-joint, etc.

If it is just the engine, then you are describing an engine misfire. If that is at idle, it could be a vacuum leak, if at idle and while accelerating, then look at ignition system- spark plugs, plug wires, ignition coil or carp and rotor.

drew

Lincoln Acceleration Rattle Sound

Post by drew » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:39 pm

I have an 01 Lincoln LS and when I accelerate I am hearing a rattle sound that seems to be coming from under the car. If I am driving by a wall I can hear it very distinctly. I already use 93 octane and my oil was just changed. I've heard so many ideas of what it could be. It does not happen if the car is in nuetral, only drive. Does anyone have any knowledge or information that may help narrow this down?

karlk

Re: Lincoln Acceleration Rattle Sound

Post by karlk » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:02 pm

If you know what spark knock sounds like, then that would need to be looked into. Possible an EGR valve problem or ignition timing issue.

More likely the noise in your Lincoln is just something simple like a loose exhaust shield.

It is hard to guess without hearing it for myself.

nathan

1991 chevy corsica has gas and spark wont run

Post by nathan » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:48 pm

I have tried everything has 47# in fuel rail checked injectors there getting juice if you put carb cleaner in intake it will run please help me

butch

Re: 1991 chevy corsica has gas and spark wont run

Post by butch » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:20 pm

You need to check fuel injector pulse signal. One wire powers each injector, the other wire is the ground controlled by the PCM. There is a small light called a "Noid light" for this, or you can use a test light. Either one needs to blink when cranking.

daa389

Vibration at High Speeds

Post by daa389 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:22 pm

My 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue begins buzzing at 40 mph and begins to vibrate something awful around 65+ mph. I've had my tires balanced. Any other ideas? Note: It started after a mechanic replaced the driver's side wheel bearing. He double checked it and says it looks fine. Could that still be the problem? Or something else?

karlk

Re: Vibration at High Speeds

Post by karlk » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:45 pm

It sounds like the problem on your Oldsmobile is that hub bearing is bad. It all started right after that repair.

Just because it is new does not mean it is not noisy or vibrating. You would never be able to tell just by looking at it. That is your problem, especially if it was a cheaper non-factory part.

A good way to tell is drive the car at the speed the noise is worst, then turn steering wheel to do a sort of swooping motion from left to right. If the noise changes, the bearing is bad.

The rule of thumb is if the noise gets less when turning right, then the right bearing is bad because turning right causes the car body to roll left and take the load off of the right side. If the noise gets worse, then the opposite is true- the left hub bearing is bad because the body roll put more load on the left side.

lilmama

2000 Oldsmobile Alero

Post by lilmama » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:38 pm

Hello, I have a 2000 Oldsmobile Alero that I need some help with. The car is running fine but my check engine light came on, I put my reader on the car and two codes came up one was PO420 and PO113. I am just not sure were to start on repairs. I know the PO420 code is the Catalyst system low efficiency but really what does that mean as far as in were do I start, and the PO113 indicates that the intake air temperature sensor 1 electrical circuit input signal had high voltage for a predetermined period of time, and again were do I start looking to repair. I'm good a replacing a sensor if I know that is what it is, or in that line but all these big words and how they put it just loses me as far as what it is that I need to repair. Can anyone please help me.

butch

Re: 2000 Oldsmobile Alero

Post by butch » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:51 pm

Yes the P0420 is for catalytic converter efficiency low. Basically this means that the catalytic converter is not cleaning up the exhaust good enough for federal emissions standards. This is usually caused by a bad converter, but can on rare occasions be caused by a bad oxygen sensor. The computer monitors the O2 sensors before and after the converter and compares them to determine if the cat. is working properly.

The P0113 for air intake temperature sensor is most likely just a bad sensor. It is a 2-wire sensor located in the intake air duct between the air filter and the throttle. But, before replacing t5he sensor, unplug it, pinch each wire between your fingers and give them a little tug. If the wire stretches, then you just have a broken wire that needs to be replaced. The colored insulation on the wire will stretch when the actual copper wire inside is broken.