2 spark plugs short of a full engine

General car repair questions and answers.
Jeremy6
2 spark plugs short of a full engine

Post by Jeremy6 » Thu May 07, 2015 7:55 pm

So there I was, new spark plugs in, ready to rev my engine and feel good, as I am very novice at the whole... "car maintenance" thing. So I go ahead and start my car, only to hear it sputter and I wonder if they just need to run a moment before the issue clears. But soon the car's sputter grows and the vehicle rocks and finally dies. Wide eyed and freaked out I get out and look at the engine only to see only half of my sparkplugs are actually plugged in. I quickly plug it in and try again.... SUCCESS! Now, all I need for the warm and fuzzy is to know, did I potentially hurt something while the spark plugs were not plugged in?

Make: Mitsubishi
Model: Galant
Year: 2003
Engine: 2.4/16 valve

Xander

Re: 2 spark plugs short of a full engine

Post by Xander » Fri May 08, 2015 8:29 am

Nah, I don't think you hurt something there but I'd say, you did good job! Though, I can imagine you freaking out. ;)

Jeremy6

Post by Jeremy6 » Tue May 12, 2015 1:34 am

Much thanks, my engine light turned off by itself yesterday, so i suspect no damage was done as well. But I do have the Warm/fuzzy feeling now. So thank you much.

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:36 am

Apparently your CE light came on after the first engine restart. You corrected the issue and now, your CE light extinguished. You may want to disconnect the battery ground momentarily to remove all the old adaptive information in the ECU. Doing so may improve fuel mileage and engine idle.

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:42 am

Why would you want to dump the adaptives? The engine is now running OK and all is well. Throwing away all the adaptives will likely upset fuel mileage for a period.

Ad some Techron and leave well enough alone.