P0440 fault

Questions specific to a check engine light.
lhoag01
ses light and noise

Post by lhoag01 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:30 am

01 grand am. Ses light came on yeaterday and today i noticed a ticking kinda noise. It seems to be louder when im parked or at a light. Then seems to go away as i accelarate.

karlk

Re: ses light and noise

Post by karlk » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:38 pm

Any time a check engine light is on, there are trouble code(s) stored in the computer. The first step is to get them scanned. Most of the large national parts store chains will do that for free. They will scan it for a code number like P0300 or P0449. Without the codes, i could not even guess what is causing the check engine light in your Pontiac. It could as simple as a loose gas cap or some sensor has failed.
See this link for car engine computer code list

As for the ticking, that could be something in the top end of the motor like a lifter or valve. Check the engine oil level and condition first. Without hearing it for myself i could not be much help. You are going to have to have a mechanic listen to it.
See this link for engine tick or knocking descriptions.

Amber

EVAP problems after transporting car

Post by Amber » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:42 pm

Thank you in advance, I have a 2007 scion tc that just got transported across the country via truck transport, and now after the trip the check engine light came on. The codes read the following,
P0455-
Evaporative emission control system pressure leak detected- large leak.
Probable cause 1. Faulty Fuel Cap. 2.EVAP Line Leakage. 3. Pump Module failure. 4. Canister faulty.

And

PO441-
Evaporative emission control system incorrect purge flow.
Probable cause 1. Leak in EVAP system. 2. Blocked EVAP purge line. 3. Faulty purge VSV.

Now so far have been told to change out the gas cap which I have, but to no luck. Please help! Trying to figure out what I need to do.

Palmer

P0440 fault

Post by Palmer » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:48 pm

How do you troubleshoot this to determine weather it is the solenoid or purge valve?

Terry

Re: EVAP problems after transporting car

Post by Terry » Tue May 27, 2014 10:48 pm

My best guess would be that during the transportation, something was damaged under your Toyota Scion. Most likely when it was loaded up. Sounds like an EVAP line was damaged. That would give you the P0455 large leak code.

This in turn can give the other code- P0441.

You will need to have the system pressure tested to find out where the leak is coming from, or get under the vehicle and look for a damaged EVAP line or pipe.

karlk

Re: P0440 fault

Post by karlk » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:49 pm

That depends on the vehicle. A problem with a purge valve or a vent valve will usually show a different codes that P0440, especially on cars or trucks new that 2002. To diagnose this code you need to have a scanner that can show EVAP system data and control the components. You would also need a pressure station to pressurize the system to look for a leak.

Chance

Check engine light blinking misfire

Post by Chance » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:34 am

Why is my check engine light still blinking? I had hooked up a scan tool to the car and it said I had a misfire in injector 5 I pulled all the plugs and sure enough the plug was way to far gapped.... I put new Spark plugs and it runs way better but the check engine light still is blinking

karlk

Re: Check engine light blinking misfire

Post by karlk » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:06 am

If the engine light is blinking, then the engine still has a misfire. The blinking means that the misfire is bad enough to cause possible catalytic converter damage.

We could really use the exact code number. If it was for the #5 injector circuit, then the problem is in the injector or wiring, not the spark plug. You can try a bottle of injector cleaner, like Seafoam. Then, check the connection at the fuel injector first. Next you would need to do a fuel flow test on the one to see if it is actually flowing fuel when it fires.