1998 Honda Accord with check engine light?

Questions specific to a check engine light.
aavalos12
Volkswagen Jetta Check engine light

Post by aavalos12 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:01 pm

I have a Volkswagen jetta and It will turn on but when driving it will turn off.I recently had my radiator fixed thats when the check engine light turned on.then weeks later the Engine Coolant Water Outlet broke so i fixed it and after that I drove it around I turned it off and then when i tried to turn it back on it didn't turn on. The next day I tried again it turned on but now it turns off when driving.

butch

Re: Volkswagen Jetta Check engine light

Post by butch » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:01 pm

The first thing you need to do is have the computer scanned for codes. When the check engine light is / has been on, there are codes stored in the computer that may give a clue to why it is stalling.

If it just shuts off, then that sounds electrical. Possible ignition module, ignition switch, sensor or computer problem.

If it starts to stumble or loose power before it dies out, that could be a fuel pressure problem like a pump going bad.

Kelly

Toyota Corolla 2008 no power to dash

Post by Kelly » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:58 am

Hi,
I have a 2008 Toyota corolla ascent, owned for 2years. All of a sudden there is no 'power' to the meters on my dash (day or night). The car runs, but the meters (including the speedo!) don't... The accessory lights (abs, handbrake, seatbelt etc) are lit up & stay on. What could the problem be?
Thanx,
Kelly.

karlk

Re: Toyota Corolla 2008 no power to dash

Post by karlk » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:55 pm

First thing to do is have all the fuses checked. There may be one or more blown. If they are ok, then you might have a bad instrument cluster assembly or a computer module problem. You will need to have a mechanic hook up a computer scan tool to your Toyota and do some diagnosis.

Kelly

Re: Toyota Corolla 2008 no power to dash

Post by Kelly » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:28 am

Thanku so much! I'll suss it out :)

jan

2000 volvo s80 timing belt

Post by jan » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:31 pm

I'm looking to buy wholesale 1 owner. Clean Carfax 110k m. Asked the dealer when the timing belt was done, was told they "think" the previous owner did it. Isnt there usually a marking somewhere on the engine . Have the vin etc how can i search?

Terry

Re: 2000 volvo s80 timing belt

Post by Terry » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:56 pm

If the dealer thinks the previous owner had the timing belt replaced on your Volvo, that means it probably was not done. If the work was done at the dealer, there will be paper work on the repair. If not, just contact the previous owner and ask them. This type of info will not be in a Carfax.

Car Newbie

1998 Honda Accord with check engine light?

Post by Car Newbie » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:05 am

Hi, not sure what the problem is, since I don't have one of those OBD 2 readers, but it seems I have some sort of problem with the car. It starts fine, but the check engine light comes on and then it idles at ~250RPM, even if it's in the cold morning which it usually revs up to ~1.5K RPM to warm up? And then slowly rev down once the car's warmed up.

It has never happened, only bought the car a few months ago, from a private seller; when idling, it has a light *lope* tune to it. I guess that's to be expected when idling at around 250RPM? It has also seems to have lost power when attempting to drive the car under ~2k RPM(even in first gear - I have to literally floor the pedal to get it going!), but beyond that, it's smooth sailing - I just did a circuit lap around my place.

My dad thinks it could be the distrubuter or and the fuel filter being clogged(and apparently the fuel filter on these are at the fuel tank and dad's like - oh that looks like too much work I won't bother today, maybe another time).

If you can point to me in the right direction of a possible cause and a fix without needing one of those OBD 2 readers to scan for the error code(because dad's like oh no they're expensive and unless you're gonna run a mobile car mechanic shop it's not worth it), I will be appreciated.

Oh and I reside in Australia if that helps....

I'll update this again when Youtube finishes processing my video...

EDIT: ok here's the link - I just refreshed the page and it seems to have already processed and uploaded the video, must be a bug/glitch in their system as it showed 0% progress on a 2 minute clip... https://youtu.be/JN46K5pd1wo

Car Newbie

Re: 1998 Honda Accord with check engine light?

Post by Car Newbie » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:51 am

Hm, this forum seems to be dead and the *mechanics* are either busy or have left completely.

Anyways, an update on my problem: https://youtu.be/NET0bUplxIA

Found a way to diagnose the problem by jumping two wires on the OBD1 connecter.

Problem appears to be the MAP sensor, or Manifold air pressure sensor.

I will clean it and put it back and see if it works or not, if it works, great if not I will go out and buy a replacement....

Car Newbie

Re: 1998 Honda Accord with check engine light?

Post by Car Newbie » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:47 am

Nevermind this, all fixed - had replacement MAP sensor come in and that fixed it.

Well there was no point in even starting this thread; solved the entire problem all by myself! But you know, common courtesy to tell the public that the thread is solved is good too.