2003 Windstar Hazard Flasher Problem

Questions specific to electrical problems.
luluf456
2003 Windstar Hazard Flasher Problem

Post by luluf456 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:37 pm

I need help solving a problem with my 2003 Windstar.
Symptoms, Description and work done:
- hazard lights (all four corners) came on while driving and would not turn off even when stopped and with removing of the ignition key.
- after trying different things, removed Fuse # 16; hazard lights turn off when the ignition key is out but lights are on with ignition key in "running" position
- during driving as above, the warning chimes was ON all the time. Upon returning home and removing the ignition key, the running lights on all four corners were on and would not turn off
- other symptoms include: head lights and horn going on and off randomly(?); possibly with opening and closing driver door(?)
- work done includes: all fuses inside & out checked Ok, relays 1,2&4 checked Ok, multifunction switch checked Ok, moved/shook the harness going into the driver's door to see if head lights and horn would come on......nothing happened !
- tried but failed to locate the (EP27) flasher relay....with flashers ON, there is the expected "Clicking" sound; so, there must be a flasher relay somewhere.
Please provide whatever help you can; including location of flasher relay.
Thanks

Terry

Re: 2003 Windstar Hazard Flasher Problem

Post by Terry » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:22 pm

The hazard flasher/relay should be in the main fuse and relay center under the dash. It looks different than the other and may be blue. But this does not seem to be your problem. That would no effect horn or cornering lights. If you have an aftermarket alarm on the truck, i would have that looked at. If it has a factory theft system, have that looked at.

luluf456

Re: 2003 Windstar Hazard Flasher Problem

Post by luluf456 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:44 am

Thanks Terry,
I will have a look at the theft system.
So far, I have not been able to locate the EP27 flasher relay. It is not readily visible near/around the inside fuse panel; unless it is behind it. The front of the inside fuse panel (where the fuses are) there are 6 relays; all of the same type, and none of them seems to be a flasher. I do hear the flasher clicking sound but it seems to be coming from behind the (upper/behind) dash where the speedometer is. I have put my hand up there to see if I can "feel" a clicking relay but no success. If I could remove the gear shift level, I would be able to remove the speedometer/odometer/gauges unit and look behind there. I have seen a Yutube for another vehicle where you must remove lots of parts; including the radio, in order to get to the flasher. .....REDICULOUS !.....the designer/engineer should be shot !