chevy starting /stay running problem

Questions specific to electrical problems.
Rob
2002 impala electrical probs

Post by Rob » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:16 pm

I have a 2002 impala. Recently, my cluster went dead, no speedo, no fuel gauge, no air cond, no radio, door lock issues. All this happened at the same time. Check engine light is on and I can't get any response from the diagnostic terminal. Any ideas?

Terry

Re: 2002 impala electrical probs

Post by Terry » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:36 pm

No data from the diagnostic terminal may be the root of all your problem. First, be sure to check ALL the fuses. If ok, then the most likely problem is a bad BCM (Body Control Module). This controls all the system you are having problems with, as well as the diagnostic terminal.

mitch

chevy starting /stay running problem

Post by mitch » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:57 pm

1996 chevy Silverado 1500 about a month ago while driving I started to loose power if I needed to speed up . then later I found every once in a while I would need to use starting fluid to get it to start . after I used the starting fluid one time in the morning, I would not have to use starting fluid the next time, during that day to start it up . I figured my fuel pump was going out so it was replaced . then 2 weeks or so, my truck died while I was driving it .I had sufficient of gas
in the tank . I turned it over until the battery died but, it would not start .a shop told me I needed a new starter so ,that was replaced that did not help. the battery was checked along with the altinater .the fuel pump relay and the starter relay where also checked . now the truck starts up but only runs for a minuet and a half to two minuets the dies . it will not start right away if I leave it alone for a lil bit , itwill start up and run but then in that same time frame it will die again I do not want to replace parts that are good I did that with the fuel pump already and the starter. the shop I took my truck to says its this or that they are just basicly exchanging parts hoping they stumble across the problem
I new this when they told me my altinater was bad I had just replaced it shortly before I put a amp gauge on it while the truck was running and found it was charging the battery so now im out of ideas

Chelsea123

Pontiac Grand Am no spark or fire

Post by Chelsea123 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:50 pm

My 1997 pontiac grand am will not start. It cranks, but will not start. I have replaced the crankshaft sensor, battery, coil pack, (including trying 3 different ones)and am currently working on the spark plugs. Every time I try to start it, it also kills the battery. I tested the alternator at autozone and it failed. I just want to know if I should get an alternator, or could it not be the alternator causing it to do this? I'm also leaking antifreeze randomly.... Wierd. And I opened the schrader valve a little and it has gas... Please someone help me? I need my car for the holidays.

butch

Re: chevy starting /stay running problem

Post by butch » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:50 pm

It is possible the fuel pump is faulty. Especially if the one that was replaced was a cheap part. Fuel pressure would need to be checked when it is acting up. Other than that, you could have a bad ignition module or crank sensor. That would show up as no spark when it stalls or wont start.

mitch

Re: chevy starting /stay running problem

Post by mitch » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:25 am

butch wrote:It is possible the fuel pump is faulty. Especially if the one that was replaced was a cheap part. Fuel pressure would need to be checked when it is acting up. Other than that, you could have a bad ignition module or crank sensor. That would show up as no spark when it stalls or wont start.
here was my problem the fuel pulsator rubber was sucking air if I had more fuel in the tank it would not have sucked air ty

Terry

Re: Pontiac Grand Am no spark or fire

Post by Terry » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:42 pm

First, yes, replace the alternator. It will not cause a o start condition from no spark, but it will prevent you from cranking the engine to try to fix it.

You need to be sure what the engine is missing- does it have spark and the proper fuel pressure. Just getting some gas from the test valve is not a good indication that there is high enough fuel pressure.

If you do not have spark and it the four cylinder engine, i would suspect the ignition module. This is common on the four cylinder in the Pontiac Grand Am.