1999 cougar 2.5 v6 a/t

Automotive questions for anything about engines.
aaron
1999 cougar 2.5 v6 a/t

Post by aaron » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:05 pm

Description of Problem: 1999 mercury cougar 2.5L V6 automatic trans: I was driving down the road and suddently lost power. the engine was still running but sounded alittle rough so i turned it off. then it wouldnt start. after having it parked for a couple months i started looking ant it and notice that the starter is spinning the flexplate but the harmonic balance isnt turning. it does turn by hand with a socket. after talking to a mechanic i was told a used motor would run $1500+. he said i broke the crank or timing chain? i thought if it was the timing chain the harmonic balancer would still turn, he didnt agree. and i thought it was unlikely that the crank would just break driving down the road. Do you have any idea what it could be? or how i can narrow it down. not alot of autoshops where i live and the one shop im pretty sure just wants my money cuz i dont know much about the problem. if the flexplate or bolts broke off would that cause my problem? Any help or advice would be great thanks.

Terry

Re: 1999 cougar 2.5 v6 a/t

Post by Terry » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:04 pm

If the engine was running then the crank shaft is not broken. If the starter is turning the flywheel but the balancer is not turning, but the engine way running, then either the flywheel is broken where it bolts to the back of the crank, or the crank broke so that 4 or 6 of the eight cylinders are still attached- that would explain why it was running, but badly and no power.

jim

2.2L engine change question

Post by jim » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:42 am

will a 97 sunfire engine fit a 2001 sunfire they are both 2.2 engines.

Terry

Re: 2.2L engine change question

Post by Terry » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:28 pm

They are different engines even thought they are both 2.2L. The engine will physically fit, but there are many differences.

Most of the engine sensors connectors are different, the exhaust is different, A/C lines and compressor mounting are different, engine mounting is different, etc. The computer is also different. So basically, no, you cannot swap these engine in your Pontiac Sunfire.