2004 Mitsubishi eclipse 2.4 Valve tapping/clicking sound

Automotive questions for anything about engines.
nasty750
nissan 3.5 knock at idle

Post by nasty750 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:58 pm

Developed engine knock at idle with slight acceleration. Knocking quiets then returns.

butch

Re: nissan 3.5 knock at idle

Post by butch » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:35 pm

This noise sounds like a piston rod knocking. Check your oil level. Next have the oil pressure checked.
It may be time for an engine overhaul.

dtmase

Mitsubishi engine white smoke and knock

Post by dtmase » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:06 am

I started my Mitsubishi Raider Truck one day and I was on the throttle heavy in Park and all of a sudden something sounded broken from inside the engine and white smoke came out of the dipstick hole and till now its knocking heavily.

butch

Re: Mitsubishi engine white smoke and knock

Post by butch » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:51 pm

OK, well the engine is broke. It is going to have to be removed, dissembled and repaired. You may have a cracked piston or even one could have a hole in it. If that is the case, this may have damaged the cylinder wall as well.

Jeka

2004 Mitsubishi eclipse 2.4 Valve tapping/clicking sound

Post by Jeka » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:09 pm

I am really hoping I can figure this out here:
Recently purchased 3 generation eclipse 2004 4 cyl 2.4
It had a knocking sound coming from the bottom as well as from the top under valve cover. We took dropped the oil pan, the first cylinder rob bearing was gone and powdered up, the rest were fine but all 4 were replaced as well as it got shimmed up so there is no play at all, the crank was sanded off a little just to give it a more smooth finish even though it wasn't that bad. Then took off valve cover to find out all of the lifters but one were all burned out and no oil in them and they were all pressed in, replaced all of those to the brand new ones. next took off the head, timing belt was off (it jumped a few teeth) replaced the timing belt, replaced the headgasket, replaced stem/oil seals, valves looked fine not bent at all. everything else looked fine, most of the noise went away especially that lound one from the bottom, not the only noise im having is from under the valve cover and its definitely the lifters are knocking even though they are brand new and there is no play at rocker arm at all its all snug and tight. I changed oil 5 times already, the knocking starts at idle then when it warms up a little they quite down, then when start driving it is quiet at low rpm's like below 3000 but then when I drive it for more its making noise even below 3000, sometimes the noise gets quiter then when its warmer it get louder, but it never goes away. So now after 3 days I started getting the oil light on at idle, when I give more then 1000 rpm or when driving the light goes away. So that made me check my Oil Pressure with a gauge, here are the readings I got at different rpm's

Idle - 12 psi
1500 rpm - 32 psi
2000 rpm - 48 psi
2500 rpm - 54 psi
3000 rpm - 59 psi

Now the dealer said that at idle it should be 4.5 psi and after 1200 rpm it should be between 41 - 100 psi.
Does this make sense to anyone, is it my oil pump or is it my oil sending unit? Will it make my valves rattle like that?

Terry

Re: 2004 Mitsubishi eclipse 2.4 Valve tapping/clicking sound

Post by Terry » Mon May 05, 2014 1:36 pm

Oil pressure is fine. You probably have a bad oil pressure sender. No, that will not cause the lifter to make noise. Sounds like you have a bad lifter or the bore the lifter sit in is worn out. It is also possible there is some debre in an oil passage between the lower end and the top end. If there is a restriction, no or low oil pressure will get to the top of the engine.

jeffrey

blown head gaskets

Post by jeffrey » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:44 am

Does the new sealer stuff they sell really work for this problem ?

Terry

Re: blown head gaskets

Post by Terry » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:39 pm

Those bottles of fix a head gasket do not work. They may work for a short time, but eventually will still leak. It may not even be a temporary fix at all. Sometimes they even cause more damage because these things work by plugging small holes in the cooling system. The problem is that the inside of the radiator has hundreds of small hole- that's how they work. So sometimes this additive will plug those causing an overheating problem.