Buick Riviera wont stay running

Automotive questions for anything about engines.
Car idles rough stalls in any gear

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:07 pm

When the car is in park it idles a little rough like it's going to stall out. Whenever I place the car into any gear it stalls out immediately it was running fine early today then I thought maybe it was low on oil, so I put a quart of oil into the vehicle. Then I check the oil levels and the dip stick is covered in oil. As if there is too much oil in the car. When starting the car it sounds like a diesel truck, will idle at 1 RPM, then when placed into any gear the car turns off.

Terry

Re: Car idles rough stalls in any gear

Post by Terry » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:21 pm

The problems you describe could be a few things. First, you need to get the correct oil level in the car. If it is now overfull, and it did not sound like a diesel truck before adding oil, it is way over full and you are causing internal engine damage in top of the original problem of stalling.
How To Check Oil Video

The rough idle and stalling out when put into gear could just be a simple vacuum leak, a plugged idle air control valve, carbon in the throttle etc. This is assuming that is did not sound like a diesel before adding oil. If if did, then you may have an internal engine problem as the original problem causing the idle and stalling problem.
Idle Air Control Valve

raygoerdt

94 s-10 4.3 TBI starts and dies

Post by raygoerdt » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:14 am

Hello, I have a 94 s-10 pickup that stuttered and died on the road, started back up and ran for awhile then bogged down and died again. limped it home and now it will start and run a few seconds then die. it will idle longer (a minute or two) if i unplug the map sensor. I have replaced coil, cap, rotor, wires, fuel filter. If anyone can help that would be great.

Terry

Re: 94 s-10 4.3 TBI starts and dies

Post by Terry » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:50 pm

First try and replace the MAP sensor. If that does not help, look for a vacuum leak. Next check fuel pressure. You may have a fuel pump that is weak and not supplying enough pressure or volume to the engine.

raygoerdt

Re: 94 s-10 4.3 TBI starts and dies

Post by raygoerdt » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:48 am

Ok, Thanks I will check it out.

steve

Buick Riviera wont stay running

Post by steve » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:15 pm

I have a 97 Riviera 3.8 supercharged.just replaced the head gaskets.now i get a p0102engine code and the car wont stay running.replaced maf.code came back and still dies when given gas.help.

karlk

Re: Buick Riviera wont stay running

Post by karlk » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:04 pm

There are a dew possible causes for this MAF code on your Buick.

If replacing the MAF sensor did not fix it, you need to look closely at the wires at the sensor connector. They may has gotten stretched. If so, the copper wire inside the colored insulation may be broken causing an open circuit. Pull on each wire as it comes out of the sensor connector. If one stretches, it needs to be repaired.

Another possible cause is that during replacement of the head gasket, you may a problem with the PCV valve. There are two O' rings on the PCV valve. If one is missing or broken, that will cause this problem. I have seen this several times.