Car idles rough stalls in any gear

Automotive questions for anything about engines.

Car idles rough stalls in any gear

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:07 pm

When the car is in park it idles a little rough like it's going to stall out. Whenever I place the car into any gear it stalls out immediately it was running fine early today then I thought maybe it was low on oil, so I put a quart of oil into the vehicle. Then I check the oil levels and the dip stick is covered in oil. As if there is too much oil in the car. When starting the car it sounds like a diesel truck, will idle at 1 RPM, then when placed into any gear the car turns off.

Terry

Re: Car idles rough stalls in any gear

Post by Terry » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:21 pm

The problems you describe could be a few things. First, you need to get the correct oil level in the car. If it is now overfull, and it did not sound like a diesel truck before adding oil, it is way over full and you are causing internal engine damage in top of the original problem of stalling.
How To Check Oil Video

The rough idle and stalling out when put into gear could just be a simple vacuum leak, a plugged idle air control valve, carbon in the throttle etc. This is assuming that is did not sound like a diesel before adding oil. If if did, then you may have an internal engine problem as the original problem causing the idle and stalling problem.
Idle Air Control Valve