Ford motor replacement video

Automotive questions for anything about engines.
Charmaine
2001 Ford exedition

Post by Charmaine » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:38 pm

This SUV just started and ran yesterday and today the motor is locked up no noises or anything. Today it just clicks. Can't even turn it by the crank bolt. Why would this happen?

jared

Ford F-150 Loud Engine Noises

Post by jared » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:42 am

I have a 2005 ford f-150 5.4L super crew XLT. I recently started having motor issues that were disguised as alignment or other suspension issues. When I went to the parts shop to get the error codes read, I found a number of issues. I replaced the entire throttle body and replaced the cylinder 4 spark plug. It runs almost perfect, for about ten to fifteen minutes on a cold engine. I took it to the dealership to find that I had a significant amount of sludge build up. So I took it home and performed two full oil changes using motormedic before each one. On the second change I dropped the oil pan and cleaned it bone dry. I also poured two bottles of a detergent additive and drove for a significant amount of time. The knocking only takes place when I come to a complete stop, so I have decided to try an idle speed relearn and see if it helps or not. However, when I dropped the oil pan I discovered a few plastic fragments that look important. I'm not sure what they are, but the biggest piece looks like it could be a seat for a spark plug, but don't quote me on that. I also intend on a third oil change and oil pan cleaning in a few days, this time I will use marvel's mystery oil for the additive. Any advice would be appreciated...

karlk

Re: 2001 Ford exedition

Post by karlk » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:00 pm

A locked up motor usually happens because there is no oil in the engine and it spun a bearing, low oil pressure caused it to spin a bearing or the engine is just wore out and spun a bearing. But it could also be what is called "hydrostatic lock". That means coolant has leaked into one or more cylinders and this prevents it from turning. Remove the spark plugs to see if coolant runs out.

Either way the engine needs to come out and dissemble.

One thing to do first, remove the belt to see it the engine in your Expedition will turn. If the A/C compressor locked up, that can prevent the engine from turning. I have seen it several times a mechanic diagnose that a vehicle needs a new engine because it is locked up, when later they find it was just the compressor.

jared

Ford motor replacement video

Post by jared » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:26 pm

Does anyone have a thread or video explaining how to replace the motor on a 2005 ford f-150 5.4 L?

karlk

Re: Ford F-150 Loud Engine Noises

Post by karlk » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:58 pm

If you could post a picture of the plastic you found in the oil pan, that may help.
You need to get an oil pressure reading at idle to see if maybe it is too low. That will cause and engine knock.
Try this- with the noise happening, put truck in drive, foot on brake, and goose the gas pedal a few times. Also do this in reverse. See if the noise changed. A cracked flywheel will give almost the exact same noise as an engine knock.

Terry

Re: Ford motor replacement video

Post by Terry » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:55 pm

You are not going to find a video on engine replacement. There are way too many things to do. The video would be a few hours long. Removal includes taking off all the accessories, brackets, hoses, wiring, flywheel bolts, transmission bellhousing bolts, exhaust, engine mounts, etc.

Your best bet is to get a shop manual. They can be purchased from any auto parts store, or even taken out at the local Library.