Pontiac Grand Am engine tapping

Automotive questions for anything about engines.
Root
Pontiac Montana Engine Noise

Post by Root » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:25 pm

My 2008 Pontiac Montana 3400 has a very loud rattling noise when idling. Revving does not change the noise.

butch

Re: Pontiac Montana Engine Noise

Post by butch » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:40 pm

Well the noise in your Pontiac could be a lot of things. I would really need to hear it. You could just have a bad belt or an internal engine noise. For the engine noise, it could be a worn out bearing, piston slap, loose or broken rocker arm bolt, etc. If you have a video to post or link to that would be very helpful.

Joe S

1997 cavalier to 2002

Post by Joe S » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:12 pm

Can I swap the engine from a 1997 cavalier to a 2002

karlk

Re: 1997 cavalier to 2002 engine swap

Post by karlk » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:24 pm

These engine are a little different. The wiring harnesses, computer programing, A/C mounting, intake manifold. To answer your question, with enough money and time, anything is possible. But i would suggest just getting the correct engine.

William

Pontiac Grand Am engine tapping

Post by William » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:05 pm

I have an 04 Pontiac grand am it started with a light tapping and now wont start somebody said it was - timing chain the car - was running fine.

butch

Re: Pontiac Grand Am engine tapping

Post by butch » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:24 pm

Yes, it could be the timing chain that broke on you Grand Am. It really depends on which engine you have in your car. The four cylinder Ecotec engine is more known for timing chain or chain tensioner problems than the 3.4L engine. Although iut can happen on the 3.4L

A light tapping is not usually a timing chain problem. It is usually a top engine problem like a valve lifter, valve, rocker arm or spring. To check for a broken timing chain, you would need to get into the engine a little. Either remove the timing chain and check for it being broken or check if it jumped by seeing if the timing marks align.

Wayne

2000 Grand Prix stalls on interstate only

Post by Wayne » Thu May 01, 2014 8:26 am

My 2000 pontiac Grand Prix stalls after entering interstate. Usaually within a half mile. Engine will crank but not start. Towed home and sprayed carb cleaner after mass air flow sensor and it would run. Replaced fuel pump and got car running stalled same spot on interstate. Replaced negative battery cable thinking ground problem car ran. Drove20 miles non interstate ran fine. Got on interstate next morning stalled same spot. Messed with ground wire again got it to run drive again non interstate no issues. Got on interstate next day stall same place. Took positive cable off battery made it arc put back on car started drove to first exit drove home non interstate no issue. What is causing this car to stall on interstate ?

karlk

Re: 2000 Grand Prix stalls on interstate only

Post by karlk » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:24 pm

A common part to fail on the 3800 engine is the crank position sensor. But, they will stall at any speed, not just on the highway. Have the computer scanned for codes first. Even if the check engine light was never on, there may be trouble codes stored.