tapping in V6 engine

Automotive questions for anything about engines.
need2speed
tapping in V6 engine

Post by need2speed » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:40 pm

Had Camaro injectors cleaned and now the engine taps/ticks on acceleration and lessens when you let up on acceleration..WHY? Never did it before then .

karlk

Re: tapping in V6 engine

Post by karlk » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:44 pm

It is possible that the fuel injector cleaning has loosened a piece of carbon and it is now floating around inside the cylinder. I have seen this after doing upper engine work before. Try to rev the engine a few times very high. This will sometimes either grind up the carbon or even just spit it out the exhaust valve of the cylinder.

Monica

Knocking noise under the hood

Post by Monica » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:00 pm

I was driving my car for awhile with a funny grinding sound. The other day I was driving on the highway and my car just died on me. The steering wheel locked up and brakes became hard to press. After letting it roll into the breakdown lane I shut it off. Now when I turn my car on it makes a knocking sound under the hood. When AAA came the man checked my oil and it was completely empty. I got a oil change a couple of months ago and still have 3000 miles to go before my next oil change. My oil light never came on to indecate I needed oil, so how would I know I had none. The car is turning over and starts but like I said is making a knocking sound now. Can someone please help me figure out what is going on ? I know I need to take it in to a mechanic. Thank you so much

richard

Isuzu Amigo engine idle surging real bad

Post by richard » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:29 am

Hello

so I have this Isuzu amigo 2.6 EFI.... I have changed the maf ,air control module. TPS.....

And cleaned the throttle body ... And now it is gotten worse. the engine surges bet tween 2 grand three grand in park ,, and goes to 2 grand to 6 grand in gear and surges while driving.

karlk

Re: Knocking noise under the hood

Post by karlk » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:33 pm

By what you describe, i am sorry to say it sounds like the engine is blown. That would explain the knocking and the stalling out. With no oil in it, that will cause the engine to fail.

The oil pressure warning light does not indicate the amount of oil in the engine, just if there is any oil pressure. Damage can occur with a very low oil level, and the light will not come come because there is a little pressure. Pressure and level are 2 different things.

Terry

Re: Isuzu Amigo engine idle surging real bad

Post by Terry » Tue May 13, 2014 10:59 pm

Your truck may have a vacuum leak. Check that first. Next, a reset of the computer idle speed learn would need to be done.

Danny

Timing/vacuum issue

Post by Danny » Tue May 24, 2016 8:58 pm

I have a 1979 bronco with a400 motor and a 4 barrel Edelbrock carb on it. I finally got the motor running, but the issue I am having is whenever I try to hook up the vacuum advance to the carb, it runs like crap and will die. With the hose off it runs fine. I got the timing set to 12* btdc. I have tried adjusting the timing both ways and all have the same end result. I tried hooking the hose to both ports on carb, neither one is better. I'm getting vacuum at idle and can't figure out why...

joelkaz
Site Admin

Re: Timing/vacuum issue

Post by joelkaz » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:22 pm

Sounds like you are connecting to the wrong vacuum source. When you hook up the vacuum line and it runs bad, that sounds like the distributor went to full advance. If both vacuum ports on the carb have full vacuum at idle, then you there must be another port to use for timing advance. Something is backwards- either the advance works off of port vacuum and you are giving in manifold vacuum, or the advance works off of manifold vacuum and you are giving in port vacuum.

Danny

Re: Timing/vacuum issue

Post by Danny » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:36 pm

I have tried switching to each port, both with same result. I'm wondering if a gasket out in the carb would cause this?