truck won't start without starter fluid

Automotive questions for anything about engines.
tomh
Car started -ran-wont start next day

Post by tomh » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:48 pm

I have a 2002 lincoln sedan. It has a small nick in the oil pan and was leaking oil. We went away for a month, came back and wife took the car to the store about 6 miles roundtrip. The oil idiot light came on an the way home. Engine was not knocking, no unusual sounds on drive home. Next morning she told me about the oil light. I checked the oil and it didnt register on the stick. I put 5 Quarts oil in next morning and car will not start. It will not start but did turn over slightly. Battery appears good and does not require jump (I tried it). Looking under the car I noticed oil running out and it appears mixed with water.
Did we blow the engine? any suguestions

Terry

Re: Car started -ran-wont start next day

Post by Terry » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:32 pm

You say you added 5 quarts of oil. Did that just bring it up to the full mark, or did it make it overfull?

brian

FORD NO ACCEL EXCEPT W.O.T.

Post by brian » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:21 pm

Lost speedo & cruise contr. on 1996 ford contour 2.0 gl stand trany. New v.s.s. unit. Ran fine for about 50 mi. Started running crappy & no acceleration except at W.O.T. Marginal fuel press. Repl. filter & pump. Ran fine /or awhile, then no accel. again. Throttle pos sensor a little spastic, replace. Ran ok for 5 min. Now runs crappy AND SPEEDO ACTS LIKE A TACH. FREAKIN'WEIRD MAN. Think I got abad vss unit??? My cheap scanner won't register any codes, running or not. Oh! Get no fuel press emediately uppon shut down.....normal??? % Really appreciate some help. Signed; "FREAKED OUT"

karlk

Re: FORD NO ACCEL EXCEPT W.O.T.

Post by karlk » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:03 pm

Ya, you may have gotten a bad VSS. You could have some wires shorted together- that would explain why the speedo acts like a tach. Or, you have a bad computer.

The fuel pressure low at shut down is not normal, but if there is correct pressure when running, that may not be your problem. A loss of pressure after shut off could be the check valve in the fuel pump is bad, or the fuel pressure regulator on the engine is leaking. When they leak, gas goes into the vacuum line and cause an extremely rich condition. This will make it run bad and blow black smoke out of the exhaust.

brian

Re: FORD NO ACCEL EXCEPT W.O.T.

Post by brian » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:24 pm

Much thanks! I'll check it out &
    let you know.
    Brian

David9000

truck won't start without starter fluid

Post by David9000 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:38 pm

1989 gmc s15.. won't start will turn over but if i spray starter fluid in the carb it will start. I have changed the fuel pump, injector on the carburetor, the computer, and the relay. I not very good a fixing cars I'm at a loss. What should I try next?

karlk

Re: truck won't start without starter fluid

Post by karlk » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:38 pm

Have the fuel pressure checked. May be a plugged fuel filter. Check fuel quality. If there is a high alcohol content, this will cause hard starting as well.