Accident cause damage to wheel bearing?

General auto SUV repair questions.
Sub1992Chevy
How to remove plug from sensor in '92 chevy suburban

Post by Sub1992Chevy » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:56 am

I need to replace the starter in my '92 suburban. There is a sensor in the way that plugs in the oil pan, how do I remove the plug to be able to pull the starter out?

Do I need a special tool or what???

butch

Re: How to remove plug from sensor in '92 chevy suburban

Post by butch » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:30 pm

You just need a small screwdriver or pick. The connector release in sort of on the inside of the sensor. The connector plugs into the center of the sensor and is surrounded by the sensor.

Sub1992Chevy

Re: How to remove plug from sensor in '92 chevy suburban

Post by Sub1992Chevy » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:05 pm

Thanks a million and God Bless You!!!

Kody

Accident cause damage to wheel bearing?

Post by Kody » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:19 pm

Was in a rear-end accident and noticed immediately a whining noise coming from driver's side front wheel. Shop says it is a bad wheel hub bearing. Could this have been caused from being rear-ended?

Terry

Re: Accident cause damage to wheel bearing?

Post by Terry » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:54 pm

Being rear ended will not usually cause a front wheel bearing to go bad. It takes a side impact like sliding into a cub. If when your vehicle got hit it did slide or get shoved into a curb then yes, this would have caused your noisy hub bearing.

Brianxe

1997 Toyota Rav4 squealing noise

Post by Brianxe » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:28 pm

I ran my Toyota Rav4 through a rather large mud puddle (c diff lock was activated at the time and for a bit after when on the asphalt). A bit of mud got inside the cab through the floor vents. Now, every time I start the car to get it going it makes a horrible squealing noise, but after driving and getting past first gear it completely disappears. It doesn't come back when slowing down, nor is it linked to the fan controls. It only happens, it seems, when the engine is cold and put to work. Would driving on the road with C Diff Lock on have affected it? Or perhaps the water from the mud gotten somewhere dangerous?

Best Regards
Brian

Terry

Re: 1997 Toyota Rav4 squealing noise

Post by Terry » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:09 am

It may just simply be that the belt is noisy. Try spraying some silicone spray in the belt, then start your Toyota and see if that helped.

It is also possible that the mud / water got into the transmission or transfer case, but then i would think you would hear the noise all the time. But, i would go ahead and the fluid conditions in the transmission and transfer case. If they look milky, have the fluid changed.

Sunny

Strange intermittent sound from Engine, 2006 Nissan Pathfind

Post by Sunny » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:00 am

I have a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder SE off road model, Intermittent rap or knock noise, this occurs when driving at about 60KMPH and the noise ceases at about 80KMPH, at idle you cant hear the noise at all. the oil pressure gauge moves up half way during drive, but stays close to the lowest during idle, new oil and oil filter has been replaced, but we still get this noise. When the AC is turned ON the noise stops, but when it is turned OFF the noise resurfaces.
Last edited by Sunny on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karlk

Re: Strange intermittent sound from Engine, 2006 Nissan Path

Post by karlk » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:48 pm

Without a description of the noise in your Nissan, it would be hard to give you a diagnosis.

It is normal for the oil pressure to go lower at idle, even more when the engine is hot. If it goes too low, the engine could have a tapping or knocking noise. These are two very different things and indicate two very different engine components.

You would really need t give us a good description of the noise or have a mechanic listen to it.

A tapping sound is usually something in the top engine of the motor- like a lifter or rocker arm.
A knocking noise can be in the lower end- a rod bearing or piston noise.
See this link for a complete and detailed description of engine noises.