Impala wont shift from Park

Questions specific to transmissions.
gifron
Shudder/vibration at all speeds, while accellerating

Post by gifron » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:24 am

I don't know if this is a transmission problem, or not. 2003 Buick LeSabre. Recently started a "soft vibration" while accelerating. It feels kind of like driving over a worn brick road - the vibration is there, but not very pronounced; although one particular day, it was actually pretty rough (perhaps because of the especially high humidity that day?). It happens at all speeds. I think it is always there (when accelerating) in the background, but it is especially noticeable when I drive over a small dip in the road, putting extra downward force on the suspension, etc... Gas mileage is fine. Power is fine. Tires look good. Changed all four wheel hubs and rotors several months back, shortly after I bought the car. Any ideas? Thanks.

Terry

Re: Shudder/vibration at all speeds, while accellerating

Post by Terry » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:07 pm

This could be a transmission problem, but most vibrations during acceleration are usually caused by an engine misfire. Accel puts a heavy load on the ignition system. Most of the time it is caused by a bad spark plug wire, ignition coil or spark plug. You can also have a check engined light with this, but not always. The fact that is seem to do it more when it was humid outside also leans toward and ignition wire or coil problem.

You can try two things. Do a brake torque. Put your foot on the brake firmly and hit the gas up and down several times. If the feel is there, then it is engine related and not transmission. If you do not feel it, spray some water on the ignition coils and plug wires and do it again. This will sometimes make the problem more noticeable.

Here is a picture of a corroded ignition coil and plug wire.

ARBO

GMC manual shift from auto shift transmission

Post by ARBO » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:20 pm

I have two GMC pickups, close in years. One is a 5.7 with a 5 speed.the other is a 6.5 turbo, with a automatic. Can I put the five speed in with the 6.5?

butch

Re: GMC manual shift from auto shift transmission

Post by butch » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:33 pm

They should bolt up, but is would take a lot of fabricating to get it he work properly.

Chondra

Impala wont shift from Park

Post by Chondra » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:15 pm

I have a 2005 Chevy Impala which used to be a police car (I mention this, b/c there is some variance on the models that were created to be used by the police) - this past week after I start the car, I have to let it sit and run for about five minutes before it will shift out of Park. Is this a police car security issue, not shifting until it's warmed up, or something that must be repaired? The Security warning light has come on, intermittently.

This is not a floor shifter (I've seen some answers that pertain to that issue).

karlk

Re: Impala wont shift from Park

Post by karlk » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:44 pm

No, this is not a safety issue or something because of being a Police car.
If you mean that you shift out of park, but the car wont move, then this is an internal transmission problem.
If you mean you cannot physically move the shifter out of park until it warms up, then you could have a problem with a bad shifter cable or a problem in the "brake interlock"-that is a solenoid that prevents moving the shifter until the brake pedal is pressed.