2006 GMC Sierra has intermittent starting problems

General truck repair questions and answers.
mhelmer
1991 Chevy K1500 Low Idle when warm

Post by mhelmer » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:35 pm

I have a 1991 Chevy K1500 5.7l TBI. The truck starts and runs fine when cold, but the warmer the engine gets the more power I lose. It never dies but will only idle around 500 RPM's. Where should I start the troubleshooting process? Thanks for any help you all can give me.

Terry

Re: 1991 Chevy K1500 Low Idle when warm

Post by Terry » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:34 pm

Is the problem with your truck just a low idle problem, or doe it lack power while driving and accelerating?
Is the check engine light on? If so, do you know the codes?
Have you done any repairs to try and fix this problem?

bradley

2007 Chevrolet 2500 HD classic steering help

Post by bradley » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:09 pm

how to replace steering shaft bearing

Terry

Re: 2007 Chevrolet 2500 HD classic steering help

Post by Terry » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:08 pm

Which bearing are you trying to replace? There are 2 bearing in the steering column and there are also bearings inside the steering gear box. For the ones in the column, you are going to need t8he correct tools the take off the steering wheel, cancel cam, lock plate, spring and turn signal switch. For the gear box, it would need to be removed from the truck and disassembled.

Kevin

2006 GMC Sierra has intermittent starting problems

Post by Kevin » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:20 am

In the past month, the truck as had problems twice starting up. Both times, I have been successfully driving it around right before it had the problem. For example, I would run around and do a couple errands, and when I get in the car to go home, it will not start. It sounds relatively normal when trying to start, except it just doesn't start. If I wait about 30 mins, I can try again, the sound is kind of weak but then it'll start. The last time it had trouble starting, I actually did successfully started. While parked, the engine started to whine a little and revved about 300 rpm higher than normal. When I put it in reverse to get out of the parking spot, the engine stalled and wouldn't start again. Unfortunately, by the time it got towed to the mechanic, it wasn't showing any problems and he couldn't figure out what it could be. By the way, I did notice whenever my foot was off the gas and I was coasting, the engine did seem to sporadically pull more than it usually does. I find myself braking harder to compensate. Any ideas of where to start?

butch

Re: 2006 GMC Sierra has intermittent starting problems

Post by butch » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:55 pm

The first thing to do is check the fuel pressure when it is acting up. It may be low which can be caused by a weak fuel pump or plugged filter. Next check for a lot of carbon buildup inside the throttle body bore and plate.

Dan78

78 chevy 350 timing

Post by Dan78 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:41 am

I bought an old 52 dodge m37 military turck with a chevy 350 v8 from an old 78 pickup, points distributor, I think it is out of time, but there are no marks left to use a light, this happens mostly when its cold or rainy, I will start turning the engine over and every 3-5 cycles it will attempt to fire once, after about 10 turn overs I give up, just as I turn the key to the off position it gives one last attempt, and usally the best attempt at firing up...if I am able to time the normal fire attempts during the 3-5 cycle with turning the key off, it fires right up....I have replaced points, wires, 12v coil, plugs, wires, and general wires.... does anyone know if my "out of timing" suspicion is correct?

butch

Re: 78 chevy 350 timing

Post by butch » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:01 pm

This could be an ignition switch problem or a timing problem. The timing chain could be stretched. You can check this by removing the distributor cap, get a wrench on the front crank pulley bolt and move the engine by hand. If when turning the engine back and forth, the rotor under the distributor cap does not move right a way, the chain is stretched.

To check if the chain jumped, you would need to get the engine on top dead center (TDC) #1 cylinder and see it the rotor points to the #1 plug wire.