Ford F-150 will not crank over

General truck repair questions and answers.
colin78
Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Edition ABS and Grind Noise

Post by colin78 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:44 am

I have a 98 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer edition. My ABS light came on. I have a "winding" noise as soon as I begin to drive. There I ed a grinding noise coming from the rear and when I press down on the brakes the peddle goes all the way to the floor and I have to pump the brakes to stop the car.

karlk

Re: Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Edition ABS and Grind Noise

Post by karlk » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:17 pm

OK, sounds like you have regular brake system problems on your Ford causing the ABS light. The grinding noise you are hearing is probably the brake pads worn all the way down and grinding on the brake rotor. This will give a noise when driving, and not even touching the pedal. It should change pitch though when hitting the brakes. That is also the reason the pedal goes to the floor.

In turn, this can also sett he ABS light on the dash. You need to stop driving the truck and gets the brakes inspected before you loose them all together.

algonquin

Ford f-150 steering hard to turn

Post by algonquin » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:23 pm

My F150 when I turn left or right the steering wheel is hard to turn I added steering fluid because it was low but it seems to be still hard to turn.

butch

Re: Ford f-150 steering hard to turn

Post by butch » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:15 pm

If the power steering was low, it may have air in the system. That would make it still hard to turn until the air is bled out. If there is, the steering should make a whining noise when turning and sitting at idle. To bleed the system, you will need to get the front wheels off the ground and turn the wheel with the engine off back and forth 20-30 times. You should see foamy looking fluid mixing in the reservoir. Some fluid may spill out. Then start truck, fill it to the full mark (not overful) and turn several more times.

If it is not making noise, then the power steering pump may have failed. Usually the shaft inside the pump that is connected to the pulley is what breaks. You can check this by removing the belt and use a pry bar to try and slide the pulley away from the pump. If it moves more that a quarter inch, the shaft is broken.

Ken Grainger

Coolant temp fluctations Ford Ranger

Post by Ken Grainger » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:25 pm

Coolant temp gage fluxuates form normal to bottom. First noticed driving home from work. Had checked at Radiator shop no problem found.
two days later engine smelled hot (gage read normal) heard what sounded like water hammers while engine cooled after engine stopped.
Truck is '96 Ranger, 4.0L with 147,000miles. Truck Runs good.
Started today, no leaks, engine warmed up good, temp gage at normal until heater turned on. gage dropped to bottom of scale on the gage.Went back to normal when turned off. Heard no hammering. Have new radiator and thermostat. What do I have wrong?

Terry

Re: Coolant temp fluctations Ford Ranger

Post by Terry » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:05 pm

Most of the time a temperature gauge that goes all the way down is caused by a bad thermostat. But, you said the t-stat and radiator were replaced on your Ford Ranger. The hammering sound brings me to my next idea- The engine is overheating, even though the gauge goes down.

If you engine has a head gasket problem, that will force compression gasses into the coolant causing air pockets. The coolant temperature sensor cannot get a good reading from an air pocket so the gauge reads 0. I would suggest removing the spark plugs and inspecting them for signs of burning antifreeze. This would be an orange sediment or color on one or more of them. That is a sign of burning antifreeze from a bad head gasket.
Attachments
spark plug.jpg
Inspect spark plugs for signs of burning coolant from a blown head gasket.
spark plug.jpg (21.42KiB)Viewed 5985 times

Loren

Ford F-150 will not crank over

Post by Loren » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:43 am

I have a 1996 Ford F-150 when it is cold out the truck will not even crank. When the weather warms up it will crank and start. While driving it it will not go above 50 mph.
Sometimes when I lift my foot off of the accelerator and press lightly on it then it will go above 50 and runs normal. It also will just shut off sometimes driving down the road. The check engine light was on but it doesn't show any codes.

Bill

97 Ford F150 4x4 Ext. Cab 5.4L V-8 Off Road

Post by Bill » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:29 pm

Have an issue with neutral safety switch have to shift to neutral to engage shifter to start. My question is how do I find out which is the right replacement switch to buy?

Terry

Re: Ford F-150 will not crank over

Post by Terry » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:28 pm

An engine that will not crank when cold is usually a bad battery. They can act funny like that. I would have a battery load test done. Just checking the voltage level is not a very good test, it needs to be put under a load.

The truck not going over 50 mph until you let off the gas and then accelerate again could be a problem in the transmission, a loose wire under the hood or a sensor problem. I would suggest getting the codes scanned right away the next time the check engine light comes on.

Shutting off sometimes leads me again to a loose wire or ground. Especially ig the engine in your
ford F-150 just shuts right off and not sort of stumbles, drags, then shuts off. Electrical problem will cause the engine to shut off instantly, not stumble or anything like that.

butch

Re: 97 Ford F150 4x4 Ext. Cab 5.4L V-8 Off Road

Post by butch » Mon May 05, 2014 1:40 pm

Go to the parts store, they will know.