Heater not working on 99 Tahoe

General truck repair questions and answers.
ericterry75
topend tapping under load

Post by ericterry75 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:25 am

I have a 90 model Chevy 350 automatic that just started making a tapping sound only when under a load but not while at idle can I get some suggestions please I do oil changes before its time.thanks.

karlk

Re: topend tapping under load

Post by karlk » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:24 pm

If the engine in your Chevy truck is making a definite tapping noise and not a knock, then that is most likely a loose or worn out rocker arm, pushrod or even cam shaft. I would assume it has a lot of miles on it, and those older 350 motors tend to have a lobe wear out on the camshaft.

See if you can determine what bank (left or right) of the motor has the noise. Then remove that valve cover, place some rags on top of the exhaust manifold and run the engine to see if you can find out what cylinder is making the noise. The rags are to prevent too much oil getting on the exhaust.

marka

Heater not working on 99 Tahoe

Post by marka » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:16 pm

The heater stopped abruptly on my 99 Tahoe. It was running and I turned the truck off to go inside, but forgot to turn the fan off. Came back out and when I started the truck, no fan. Replaced fuses, blower resistor and blower relay. Nothing so far. Need some ideas for what to try next. Was thing the switch on the dash. Ideas?

karlk

Re: Heater not working on 99 Tahoe

Post by karlk » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:32 pm

There are really only 2 things left. The blower speed switch in the dash control panel, or the blower motor.

You need to do a few test with a test light. At the blower motor, check for power and ground on speed 4, not high- High is a different circuit than speeds 1,2,3,4. If it has power and ground, then the motor is bad.

If no power, check for power into the resistor on different wires as you are adjusting the speed switch. Each speed would power a different wire at the resistor. If not, the switch in the control head is bad.

gloria

97 blazer wont start unless prime it

Post by gloria » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:37 pm

changed intake gasket wouldnt start when cold changed fuel pump and computer box. It gets gas up to motor gut only starts if i prime it.

Silverado coolant problems

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:04 pm

Why Would My 95 Silverado Have White Smoke Pouring Out The Exhaust When Hot And Lose Of Coolant?

karlk

Re: 97 blazer wont start unless prime it

Post by karlk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:06 pm

Does the truck stay running once you prime it with fuel?
Check for bad carbon buildup in the throttle. Check the fuel pressure, may be a plugged filter.
You may have clogged fuel injectors. Check the coolant temperature sensor readings.
You may have a leaking fuel pressure regulator. That would cause the fuel pressure to drop quickly when trying to start.

Terry

Re: Silverado coolant problems

Post by Terry » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:38 pm

The white smoke and loosing coolant on your Chevy Silverado is a tell tail sign of the engine burning coolant. Antifreeze burning is white, while oil is blue. You either have a leaking intake manifold gasket or a blown head gasket. Both of these things will cause the engine to burn antifreeze internally. Check the oil to see if it is milky. If so, you need to get the engine fixed as soon as possible before causing even more damage.