Hot Engine Help

General truck repair questions and answers.
chris37
not getting spark out of distributor but have it at coil

Post by chris37 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:37 pm

have a chevy S10 wasn't getting spark coming out of distributor but was at the coil bought a used distributor and now truck fires but wont start what else could it be

karlk

Re: not getting spark out of distributor but have it at coil

Post by karlk » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:53 pm

If by saying the truck fires but does not start, you mean it cranks, you have spark at the plug, but it wont start- then you need to check fuel pressure.

For the 4.3L V6 make sure you have at least 55 PSI of fuel pressure or it won't start.

Low pressure could be a plugged fuel filter, or a bad fuel pump. Listen at the bottom of the fuel tank when turning the ignition key to the "on" position. You should hear a humm sound, If not, bang on the bottom of the tank. This will sometimes free up a sticking pump for a little while.

MikeK

GMC 1500 Lost Power In 4 Wheel Drive

Post by MikeK » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:38 pm

Check engine light been on for 10 yrs.
Just replaced fuel pump it lost power in 4 wheel drive and slowly stalled. Started and ran fine in 2 wheel. Ran today for 45 - 60 mins in 4wheel till it bogged out. Keep running in park, switched to 2wheel and seemed to run fine.

butch

Re: GMC 1500 Lost Power In 4 Wheel Drive

Post by butch » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:45 pm

This is a very odd problem. Switching from 2 wheel to 4 wheel drive puts a heavy load on the engine. You may want to scan the codes for the check engine light, even though it has been on for so long and does not seem to matter to this new problem, but it might.

You could have a bad MAF sensor or MAP sensor. Also have the catalytic converters checked. If they are plugged, this will cause a loss of power issue on your GMC.

Patrick

Oil pressure low idling

Post by Patrick » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:34 pm

The oil gauge , is it suppose to show a steady pressure when your driving and or whether your idling at a stop light? My gauge shows low pressure while idling and progressive pressure the faster I travel forward? Is the oil pressure pump on the skids?

karlk

Re: Oil pressure low idling

Post by karlk » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:40 pm

Oil pressure is always lower when the engine is at idle, even more so when the engine is hot. This is a normal condition. The lower the engine RPM, the lower the oil pressure. When you rev the engine, the oil pressure reading on the gauge will go up. It should stay steady at a steady engine speed.

Most engines nowadays can go as low as 5 PSI at idle as a normal oil pressure.

Sammie

Hot Engine Help

Post by Sammie » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:38 pm

Hi,
Got a dilemma with my 2000 Ford Ranger XLT 6cyl 4.0 hoping to find help.
I am overheating and I'm running out of things to fix.
I replaced the radiator and thermostat. I replaced the valve cover gaskets. I made sure to burp the system.
I seem to be losing antifreeze but I am not leaving antifreeze on the ground. I also am not seeing any antifreeze in the engine compartment. Any thoughts? I would prefer to take care of it myself but I seem to be running out of options.
~Sammie

joelkaz
Site Admin

Re: Hot Engine Help

Post by joelkaz » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:53 pm

Sounds like you have a blown head gasket. That will cause the engine to overheat and the loss of coolant. It may be burning up in the engine so you will never see it.

You can remove all the spark plugs and look for one or more to be discolored from burning coolant.

A blown headgasket will cause air pockets in the cooing system and overheating. When the engine is hot, see if you get heat from the heater. If no, this is because of air pockets in the cooling system.